Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Q & A

I love getting comments on my blog. . . it really motivates and inspires me to do more, so thank you for your comments.  There was a question about what to do with leftover Halloween candy.  I have a few recommendations:

First, much of your hard candy (i.e. Jolly Ranchers, suckers, anything hard) you can actually dry pack can into #10 cans, if you have that available to you.  In my ward at church, we dry pack can each month, and you can bring your own food to can.   We put an oxygen absorber in the can, then fill it with the food, put the lid on and seal it with a #10 can sealer.

Second, you can vacuum seal it with a Food Saver, or other brand sealer.  I have a post here where I have vacuum sealed granola and wheat nuts.  You can totally vacuum seal candy--even chocolate!  Although, if it is for long term storage, I would put it in a box labeled "Broccoli" or something like that. :)  If you want to seal up something in smaller packages like mini candy bars, or packages of M&M's, then take a straight pin and poke a couple holes in the packaging so that the oxygen can be sucked out of the inside of the wrapper.  I love vacuum sealing, because you can preserve food that would otherwise go rancid quickly, like brown sugar, brown rice, and nuts.

Last, if you don't have either of those methods available, you can simply store it in a glass jar.  Plastic is okay, if it is PETE plastic, but glass if preferable.  You may put in an oxygen absorber if you really want to.  But, hard candy would probably be fine for a long time just in a jar.

Now, I am not an expert on the best way to store candy, but this is what I would do (and probably should because we have WAY too much candy around here right now!).

Thank you, Christina, for your question!

9 comments:

  1. I love vacuum sealing, because you can preserve food that would otherwise go rancid quickly, like brown sugar, brown rice, and nuts.

    Moisture Management

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vaccum sealing is the most popular way to save foods and I like it.
    Thanks for sharing this post. I got this by Best Vacuum Sealer site.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you've convinced me to get Best Vacuum Sealer All I needed was the little push - been wanting one for a couple years and now I can justify it. And for the little plastic containers that can't be recycled. Drill some holes in the bottom for drainage and use them for seedling transplants for the garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice article concerning Vacuum-packaged cheese, as you've got most likely scan on my web site ostepressen.blogspot.com I even bought a vacuum packages and a lot of cheese lying to maturation. It's super nice that you simply have had an honest expertise to mature during this means, therefore i am extremely trying forward to the day I actually have to open one in every of my very own.
    It's fantastic to create cheese reception.
    Best Vacuum Sealer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have a vacuum sealer because we buy our food in bulk and love to go to pick-your-own farms, and a sealer would ensure that none of the food went to waste or spoiled
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not quite sure where to begin with this, so I'll just say this is a really good post. I've enjoyed reading it and pondering the many points you make.
    Aaron Nobel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow really nice article.

    I loved the benefits of these impulse sealer machines.

    Keep it up bro!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are doing amazing work.Our founders believe that the internet can break economic barriers and change the way business is done. Therefore, we want to bring e-commerce, to empower local entrepreneurs by helping them take their business online and to make shopping easy and accessible to everyone.www.kaymu.pk/contact

    ReplyDelete