Monday, March 21, 2011

A Whole New World -- Powdered Dairy

I have had a can of butter powder for awhile that I've been wanting to try out, so I opened it today and bravely used it in a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Well, I wasn't THAT brave, I used half real butter and half powdered butter. My husband always tells me that I try too many variations at one time and then things don't turn out as well. :)



And, just for kicks, here is my favorite thing: Powdered Eggs. I love to use these especially in baking, then I don't feel bad about eating dough or letting my kids eat the dough.

So here's my chocolate chip cookie recipe. I've been making these since I was 8 years old.


1 c butter (or in this case, 1 cube of butter and 1/2 c of powdered butter and 1/4 c water, maybe next time I'll do all powder)

3/4 c sugar

1 c brown sugar

MIX

2 eggs (powdered or regular)

1 t vanilla

MIX

3 c flour

1 t baking soda

1 t salt

1 1/2 c chocolate chips


Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.


Here's how the dough looked:


Pretty good! Note: I used 1/2 c butter powder to replace 1/2 c of real butter in the recipe--a straight 1 for 1 substitute. I also added about 2 T of water. The instructions on the can weren't very clear on how to use it, so I just guessed. Next time I will add a little more water, but they did turn out great anyway. ****Thanks to my sister-in-law for the info: When you use powdered butter, use 1 part butter powder 1 part water. Thanks, Cori!


And here's a second correction.   Now that I have made these several times. . . I have found that using a part butter powder and 1/2 part water makes the perfect cookies.  So, I have corrected the recipe above . . . again. . . sorry!


Here is the finished product. The missing cookie was in the process of being eaten at the time. I had to test them out! And they were good!!



Overall, I was VERY happy with how they turned out! I will be doing more experimenting with powdered butter in the future!




Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Awesome. On Shelf Reliance it says to use one part butter powder to one part water. So 1/2 cup water + 1/2 cup butter powder to equal 1/2 cup butter. http://www.shelfreliance.com/butter-powder-1.html

    Can you tell I'm just so excited that I know *anything* that you don't? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie! I recently came across your blog (Thank you Pinterest!)And I have to say I can't get enough! I have been looking for some help in getting some food storage started, I seem to keep finding myself overwhelmed! Your blog has really helped me to get passed that and just focus on one thing at a time, so thank you thank you thank you! :) Having said that there are many many things on here that I (sad to admit) had NO idea even existed! Like the powered egg and butter.. I am wanting to try these asap but I'm wondering a few things.. whats the best brand and wheres the best place to buy them? Also do you know how long they last and how do you store them?? Thank you agian!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am glad that you are finding helpful things on my blog! As for where to get things like powdered eggs and butter. . . it really depends on where you live. There is a Wal-Mart near me, in Idaho, that sells some long term food storage items in it. For me, the best brand is the cheapest price. :) There are several websites that you can order from, but unless they are having a great sell, they are still more expensive. Emergency Essentials (http://beprepared.com/) , Honeyville Grains (http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/), Augason Farms (http://www.augasonfarms.com/), Thrive (http://www.shelfreliance.com/foodstorage) are some that you can try.

      For powdered eggs, I once ordered a bulk box (50 lbs) from Honeyville and then dry pack canned them myself. That was the cheapest way, if you have access to a dry pack canner, #10 cans, and oxygen absorbers.

      When you buy the cans, they tell you what the shelf life is on the label. If I remember right, eggs are around 5, maybe 10 years, and milk anywhere from 5 to 20 depending on the kind of milk.

      I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck and just take it one step at a time!

      Delete